• A Certain College's (We are not permitted to use their trademarked name, but it is the same as the New York State motto) LPN to RN - ADN & ASN program is a degree granting distance education program and is also ACEN approved. You test out of the required courses and take a clinical performance exam at the end. This college's nursing degrees are not accepted in all states and some states require additional hours/pre-ceptorships before licensure – Check your state’s Board of Nursing - especially for California and Washington!
• ** You do not need ANY 'middleman' to enroll in either of the above programs!!
• The College Network (AKA Global Learn, CLASS), Chancellor's, Rue, IStudySmart, Instacert and, even MyStudyGroup101, are ONLY PUBLISHING COMPANIES. They DO NOT grant degrees or CREDITS. The New York state college mentioned above, DSST and CLEP all provide free, downloadable course outlines to students to use as a syllabus for each course, as well as practice tests on their website (for a fee).
• Compare prices, reputations, and recommendations from other students, and the age of the published materials you are considering purchasing. Some sellers on eBay may have a 100% feedback rating, but still sell study material that you can get free from some of the forums. They also state that their material is updated, but it is >10 years old (or older) and has never been revised. There is absolutely no reason you should pay for something that is otherwise free or pay hundreds or thousands of dollars when the material is available for much less.
• There are several reputable Clinical Workshops available – check the forums and ask other students about their recommendations.
• The waiting period for the Clinical exam can be up to 15 months.
The list below is current in case you want to get credits before enrolling. Keep in mind Excelsior will not accept Anatomy or Micro as ACE credit from Straighterline or English Comp from CLEP. But they will accept them from other colleges.
All of these options are cheaper than EC. Find a course or exam you want to take – call or email your adviser and tell them you want to take it (if already enrolled at EC), wait for approval, then enroll. If you are not already enrolled, be sure to only take the courses/credits that have been verified below that have been previously accepted for credit.
“Excelsior College will accept the credit recommendation designated by the ACE website only. These examinations will only be awarded Pass/Fail grades. The credit recommendation as stated on the ACE website will determine the level and credit amount awarded for each examination.” See http://www2.acenet.edu/credit/?fuseaction=browse.main ACE approved credits approved include those from CLEP, DSST, Straighterline, Study.com, ALEKS, Saylor.org, and many others. If the institution is not listed below, find the course you want and tell your adviser that it is ACE approved and request permission to take it.
Check your local community college for online & hybrid courses – community colleges usually have lower tuition rates…
- Straighterline – ACE credit courses: $99 per month and $49+ per course - they have Math, English, Humanities credits
- Davar Academy offers Information Literacy that is accepted by EC – Its $80, plus a $30 proctor fee
- Best price! IVY Tech Community College online courses $161.67 per credit hour out of state, $111.15 for Military - That’s $485 for a 3 credit course. They do have Anatomy & Physiology & Microbiology with Labs online!
- CLEP exams $85 plus proctor fee (usually $20+/-) taken at a local college & some high schools:
- DSST exams $85 plus proctor fee (usually $20+/-) taken at a local college and some high schools:
If you have financial aid, look through the EC courses – some interesting choices there, such as ENGL315 “Zombies in Literature and Popular Culture” or even “Vampires…” and they have a new one on ‘Witches’ ... Zombies in Literature and Popular Culture (Course)
Remember, you are limited to 7 total ACE credits for your ADN degree… r. Note: Prices are subject to change. Please report or repair broken links!
MyStudyGroup101 is an independent enterprise in the business of providing study material to help its clients pass exams, and is not affiliated with Excelsior College, Indiana State University, Davar Academy, ALEKS, Rio Salado Community College, Straighterline, CLEP or DSST, or any other credit or degree granting institution.
(c) 2018 MyStudyGroup101 LLC